Thursday, September 10, 2009

What a Petting Zoo Can Do For You


I am a believer that an optimistic outlook on life brings about an array of positive experiences, wonderful opportunities and meaningful relationships. For me, it’s something I positively strive for each and every day.

I have much love in my heart, as do you. I love my husband and my four children dearly. And I positively love our pets… all 27 of them.

Sure, I guess you could easily deduct the 13 tropical fish… they don’t count. But how I love to watch them! They remind me that being part of a community is important, no matter how different we are.

My two cockapoos, Cosmo and Sonic, are affectionate and loyal. They remind me that family comes first… always.

But little creatures teach lessons, too.

The kids started with two gerbils, sisters named Pippi and Piper. Then, when I realized that my husband and I both had gerbil pups in our childhoods… we brought home Peter. After a quick wedding between Peter and Piper, four little pups have entered the world. Watching the birth with my daughter was a priceless experience. It reminded me that life is absolutely precious.

Our two guinea pigs were sickly at 4 weeks old, and nursed back to health with love and affection. When Chewy and Chaka purr on my lap while eating their parsley, it reminds methat all is well.

While shopping at a local pet store, my kids and I ran into an abandoned Syrian hamster named Chico. It was a no-brainer… she was coming home with us. She is charming and sweet… reminding me that even tiny creatures need a helping hand (even though she isn’t tiny at all!).

Kabuda, the dwarf Russian hamster, was the cutest little thing we’d ever seen. But she’s mean and will take your hand off if you try to pet her. But she appreciates her food, shelter and treats… a reminder that bitter creatures need love, too.

Our latest adoption was an abandoned bearded dragon. He may be cold-blooded, but is the most warm-hearted dragon I know. Mohabe reminds me to find time to bask in the sunshine and enjoy life.

Some would say that I am a mother who doesn’t know how to say “no.” I would positively agree. But these creatures, big and small, bring out the best in me. And they positively bring out the best in my kids. So… it’s all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment