Wednesday, September 23, 2009

When I Don't Feel Like Writing...

I am a writer. I guess that is my profession. I like doing it. It makes me happy. I am one of the lucky few who have seen her black-and-white words transform into a lively, colorful, award-winning children’s book. Well, I know that makes me an author, but there won’t be any more books in my 20-book series if I stop writing. I am a writer. Gotta keep writing… gotta keep writing…

I tend to write after my “chores” are done. I wake… I prepare my daughter’s lessons… I plan the day… I visit facebook and read emails… I pay bills… I oversee that all pets have food and water… I briefly check the news… I tidy the house… I down a couple cups of coffee. Then, to my computer I go.

I’m working on some challenging topics… like appreciation, responsibility and forgiveness. I do lots of research on the subjects. I read a lot. But sometimes the words don’t flow (especially in rhyme), and I feel like I’m paddling upstream. I get frustrated. I get overwhelmed and walk away from the computer. In the past, I would force myself to write… now I step back and let the words come to me.

I never write unless I’m “feeling it.” Writing and poetry is an art. I do not deliberately try to write words down… I deliberately look for reasons to feel good… then I write the words. It takes a little practice to get it down, but the concept is simple (and true). If you are feeling good, the work will be brilliant and productive. If you’re not, it’s best to sit back until you are.

To get “in the mood” to write, I focus my attention and thoughts on all that is going well in my life. I count my blessings. I recall why I chose to be a writer and remember all the ways it makes me happy. I remind myself that I am a talented writer, and that it all comes easy to me. Most of all, I replay all the joyous times in the past when brilliant words magically flowed from my mind to the computer screen without any effort at all.

Writing can be extremely difficult or extremely easy. I guess it depends on how much work you put into it… before you start writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment