Friday, January 29, 2010

Writing... with Distractions...


It's been challenging to find my "little quiet corner" of the house lately. With four kids... and lots of pets... I am constantly being beckoned. I want to write clearly, and effortlessly, and I just can't when I'm frustrated and annoyed.

I used to be able to write anywhere at anytime. In college, the more distractions the better. I could study anywhere, as well. I suppose it's a little different... a busy, noisy room wasn't necessarily wanting my attention. Children and pets... that's all they want.

Writing is my profession, but motherhood is my life. I cannot, and do not, write with distractions, sad but true. These days, I find my "happy writing place" late at night. When all the children are tucked in bed, and the last furry creature is fed and "watered"... I grab my computer and head for "my chair."
Wait... then those pesky internet distractions start to beckon. Okay... check my email... maybe respond to a couple of them. Then, facebook... you gotta check facebook... maybe there is a funny post... or something to comment on. Ten minutes... tops. Maybe 20. Okay... back to business.
You Tube... let's play a couple of songs... maybe some John Denver... maybe something funny from the Smothers Brothers... maybe something inspirational and relaxing like Go Light Your World (a new favorite thanks to Amy)...
Okay... now back to the kitchen to get a hot cup of cinnamon tea. Perfect.
It's now after 11am... and I'll write for one or two hours. Ahhh, the joy of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment